Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Meltdown News, Depression and Songs That Heal

The news keeps coming...Home Depot lays off 5,000 Caterpillar and GM lays-off thousands more...Microsoft lays-off 5,000 (Home Depot? Microsoft for Pete's sake?!) What's the best way to deal with the news of the new depression- oops, recession? How do you feel when you read economic meltdown related headlines like this?....AXED DAD SLAUGHTERS FAMILY?

I didn't make that last one up by the way. A Medical worker beyond desperate after he and his wife lost their jobs at an LA hospital, fatally shot her and their five young children this week before killing himself, horrified cops said. "In these tough economic times, there are other options," implored LA Deputy Police Chief Kenneth Garner. "In my 32 years, I've never seen anything like this. Today, our worst fear was realized. It's just not a solution. There's just so many ways to find alternatives to doing something so horrific and drastic as this." The shooter, an X-ray technician, faxed a chilling letter to a local television station shortly before shooting himself Tuesday morning in the family's home. "Why leave the children to a stranger?" he wrote. "Oh lord, my God, is there no hope for a widow's son?"

What hope is there for anyone today suffering in the wake of these trying times? Is there an antidote for meltdown news-related depression? Yes, as for me and my house, we're doing two things I heartily recommend: first, turn off the TV! Fox News, CNN, the local news and the morning paper love headlines like the above and live to titilate with tales of woe and disaster- regardless of context and perspective. If you're going to read something - read (eat) more Bible and second, sing songs that heal. What kind of songs? Psalms of course. David and prophets like Isaiah, often cried to the Lord for peace, relief from anxiety and fear and for direction as to how to proceed in trecherous ways...

Psa. 34:4, 10, 18 I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. 10 The young lions suffer want and hunger;but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. 18 The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.

Psa. 37:3-5 3 Trust in the Lord, and do good;dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.4 Delight yourself in the Lord,and he will give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the Lord;trust in him, and he will act.

Isa. 41:10 fear not, for I am with you;be not dismayed, for I am your God;I will strengthen you, I will help you,I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Let these words of the living God provide you with spirtual medicine in the form of hope and rest, from the clamor and clanging symbols of meltdowns and depression(s).

No comments: